Sunday 27 April 2014

Llyn Coed-y-Dinas - Black Terns

A rather ironic morning which saw me take Gemma over to Welshpool to get her lift back to Swansea. I called in at nearby Llyn Coed-y-Dinas sensing Terns were in the air today? Got talking to Mark Wilson and ended up figuring Venus Pool might be a better option....

Guess what, I was sat zzzzzzzing at VP when I got a text from Mark - 'two Black Terns at lcyd'. What an eerie coincidence and why hadn't I stayed??  I took the gamble they would linger and fired off! The gamble paid off, they were still there on arrival :-)

Only problem was, they were generally quite distant - the sort of distance where autofocus is a waste of time - so thanks to good old manual focus, a wing and a prayer, here's the record shot results!

In aviation terms - definitely a 'near miss' but I guess they know what the're doing!


Whether it's mid air or off the water, a bad day to be a fly!




Various backgrounds in use - either the trees....





Or the island.....






A bit of both!


Banking shots.....




The elusive upperwing angle......




Once in a while, they landed on the island for a rest - giving my aching arms one as well!


Many thanks Mark for the heads up!! Oh - there were three Arctic Terns present too!