Monday 18 April 2022

My Garden - Hairy-footed Flower Bee

Last year it was the Bee-flies which grabbed a lot of my attention but 2022 has turned out to be the year of Hairy-footed Flower Bee (Anthophora plumipes)! A bit of a mouthful to say and just like the Bee-flies, they don't hang around, you could call them the F1 of the Bee speed stakes! They dash from plant to plant and flower to flower as if their life depended upon it! All of the images feature a female (all Black) whilst I've yet to capture a male which resembles the Common carder Bee.

I've learnt to tolerate plants which aren't exactly my favourites for the sake of insects (Pulmonaria is a good example) but it attracts them like a magnet.




As there's no time to lose, a quick hover will suffice...




It's not often the wings remain still!


Finally, that's your lot and off to the next plant


Where's a male when you need one?