Thursday 12 May 2011

Day 4 - Dolphins and Dunlin

This was the first day of the SOS trip proper and my photographic activities had to take a back seat! Two Black throated Divers got proceedings off to a good start but a drive to Burghead failed to produce a repeat show of the White-billed Diver! The only images of the day came at Chanonry Point......






This has to be the premier location in the UK for getting Dolphins up close and personal! I failed miserably to get the shots I wanted with a 300mm lens - too long a focal length!

Never mind, these will give a sense of what might have been?













At least one parent with calf close by!








Before the Dolphins got into their stride, I amused myself with a couple of Dunlin nearby - at least the light and conditions were perfect for them - or maybe I should stick to birds!

Feeding in the shallows.....








Then posing.....










It was goodnight from him.....






And goodnight from the Dolphins (for us) We had to leave as the display was still in progress!






I reckon I have unfinished business here......