Thursday 6 November 2008

POTW - BirdGuides favourite Hobby!

I spent all last weekend in the field to no avail, not a single picture taken (no Shrike on Black Hill, no Crossbills at Bury Ditches/Clunton, no Harriers/SEO on the Longmynd, no Waders or Jack Snipe at Chelmarsh, no Diver, Scaup or Scoter on the Meres). Poor light didn't help matters either.

A belated Photo of the week decision then cheered me up big time! That was after I'd pinched and convinced myself that it wasn't a mistake? All those 'wasted hours' were put into perspective too - they aren't wasted. It's only by putting those hours in, searching for an opportunity, that the opportunity occurs.....






Such was the case with this juvenile Hobby. I didn't know what my walk in Holkham Pines would produce? I haven't changed my mind that this will be right up there in the birding moments of my lifetime. And the pictures make that moment even more special - captured for ever.

Here's the award image again.....






Plus, a bonus pose from the same series. I'll confess I hadn't even looked at this one before now and can't bring myself to sort/delete any more of the others yet!!






They are all so slightly different, all so very special.....