Tuesday 21 August 2018

Porthellick pool - Spotted Sandpiper!!

My last day on St. Mary's and with a late afternoon sailing, I had the morning free... And a Spotted Sandpiper had turned up at Porthellick the previous day... No prizes for guessing, where I was going, Seaward hide first stop...


Timed to perfection, the juv Spotted Sandpiper was just waking up on the little island  left of  the T- post, about 15m away! A quick hop on the submerged fence post and my luck was in...

 

A brief pose, the unnotched tertials showing clearly...


Then, busy feeding...



It has a habit of flying off every now and then and stuck to this principle landing opposite the Sussex hide. I nipped down there in case it walked the bank but at least got a flight view showing the short wing-bar!


And it was back parading in front of the Seaward hide again!




Then actively feeding...






I didn't realise what was about to happen next. A whirr of wings in the bins next to the Sandpiper turned out to be the Citrine Wagtail!! They were briefly side by side and after a bit of a spat, both flew to the Sussex hide area... would my luck be in?