Friday 23 April 2010

Colemere - Common Scoter

An excellent week's birding on the County front had one remaining surprise in store. One of my more notable detours whilst on the way to Sainsburys saw me ending up at the Meres! The aim was a Gull recce, with the April bird race looming....

I surveyed Colemere, must have been just single figure birds: pair of Mallard, GC Grebe, Common Scoter, Coot and Tufted Duck... STOP, wait a minute - can we go back two birds!!!?? WHAT WAS THAT, keeping company with two Coots was an adult male Common Scoter!

He was way out in the middle though. A stroll to the boardwalk meant I was looking into the light (in twilight as well). Record shots only then - here he comes.....








And there he goes.....






A nice obliging wingflap showing the characteristic paler primaries....






Lucky Jim once again, if true to form and he was feeding like a Duck possessed, I doubt if he will linger into tomorrow.....