Friday 26 July 2019

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

I've had a relaxing week in Swansea chilling with Gemma's post wedding graduation - she is now officially Dr Gemma Brown! The camera was in the boot 'just in case' and it came out when I spotted a Hummingbird Hawkmoth feeding on the Red Valerian in the garden where we were staying...

A couple of 'firsts' I've never had one of these perched up (they normally fly incessantly!)


And thinking I would get some decent shots, started off snapping at 1/2000






Atmospheric but not exactly what I was after...



The proboscis pics added more interest at 1/3200




And eventually after cranking the shutter speed up to 1/8000 I got the image I was after (virtually) frozen wings. Another first...


A final afternoon walk on the Gower beckons and hopes for Choughs, heard but not seen so far...