Friday 19 April 2013

Burton Mere - Blue-winged Teal

One of those, 'should I shouldn't I' moments.... News of a  drake Blue-winged Teal came out from Burton Mere this morning. Needing this to keep the life list ticking along, I delayed to see if it settled and by late morning, decided to give it a go! I was nearing Oswestry when more news came out - it had flown!!

Cursing, I diverted to check out the Meres.....

30 mins later, I was watching 6 Arctic Terns performing on the far bank of the Mere, when more news came out - it was back!

Here we go again.... but this time there was to be no turning back. I got there and realised the folly of my delay - the area it was asleep in was directly into the sun - over 100m away! There was a drake Garganey in this area occasionally showing too.

It took about 30 mins before it stirred and drifted out into the shimmery water - this is the best I could do  but at least a (sort of) record shot!


I watched it for about 30 mins, the scope views weren't that bad before once again it flew out with the three Shoveler, relocating on Boundary Pool.

Memo to self - Burton Mere on a sunny day is strictly is a morning venue for the light!