Tuesday 5 October 2010

Venus Pool - Med at last!

This bird is long overdue! It’s the first Med Gull I’ve caught up with in Shropshire since 26th October 2008 (again at Venus Pool) and so far as the 2010 County list concerned a bit of a milestone with the ‘170’ mark having been reached!! This is the second '170' in the last three years with a near miss is 2009 where I finished on 169.

This might be the year to challenge my best County year tally of 173 but it will take some good and possibly unexpected birds to better that (and I’m not going to get out the ‘crystal ball’)

Anyway, back to the present – a quick call at VP, mainly to check for the Pec Sand I’d been hoping for? Nothing doing so I ‘browsed the Black headed Gulls (a routine occupation it seems) once, then twice – nothing doing!

Something unseen spooked the whole reserve and as the Gulls settled again, one caught my eye (which must have been previously out of sight.) Black legs, black bill for starters plus a pale grey mantle and mask behind the eye – about time too - a 1st Winter Mediterranean Gull!









Seen with a nearby Black headed Gull, the differences are blindingly obvious and it lingered for a couple of minutes, had a gulp or two of water......









and then it did what I was half expecting.... flew off.....










Just my luck to be shooting into the light as it flew South but these record shots will do.....


Virtually three months of the year to go. The UK yearlist will hopefully get some attention next, from Thursday onwards - Jims off to Norfolk......

(if I have access to wireless interent, the blog may get updated)