Sunday 21 June 2009

Upton Warren - Phalarope finale

My last twitched Red necked Phalarope (Belvide) ended up in dip tray, having missed it literally by minutes! Here I was contemplating an early finish and firing over to Upton Warren on the way home! Daft or what?

I succumbed to temptation, largely due to effects of pollen (tearing my eyes out) and the thought of missing the Kings Lynn traffic mayhem.......

(About) three hours later......

The sailing club car park was quiet - not a good sign but a birder driving off cheered me up - it was "still there but distant". I settled for that!

Now, for Upton Warren such a small bird is always likely to be distant but at least it was just beyond the islands on the near bank. I got my bins on it first and then..... it promptly disappeared behind vegetation.....

A few minutes passed and at least I got a record shot or two ......








(and lets face it - that's all they are!)

Constantly harrassed by either Coots or Gulls....










It was not surprising that eventually, it took shelter by the reed bed on the far bank. And, slightly knackered, I concluded the journey home......