Friday 22 February 2008

St Andrews - Purple Sandpiper

I had a free morning, it was blowing a severe gale so I sought out the shelter of St Andrews harbour. The brief walk to the end of the harbour wall, where I was nearly blown off my feet, confirmed my decision!

 

The tide was coming in and a scan around the rocks provided a dozen Purple Sandpiper - very nice! As the water rose, they came close enough for a pic or two before departing elsewhere.

 


Out at sea, the most common bird seen was undoubtedly Eider, there were numerous -mostly in communal groups, a fair number of Long tailed Ducks were also present. Red breasted Merganser, Red throated Diver and Common Scoter were also seen.

 

Redshank, Curlew and Turnstone also present and Rock Pipits foraging constantly in amongst the seaweed.....

 

Footnote - the return journey was meant to yield Surf Scoter but they weren't having any of it. Low tide and a cross shore gale didn't help. Lower Largo was and is the place for them but I had to settle for Velvet Scoter and Black throated Diver to add to the list....