Saturday 21 August 2021

Venus Pool - Wood Sandpiper x 2

The weather conditions were favourable as I joined a VP wader vigil but apart from the now 'daily present ' species (plus the Terns I missed!), there was nothing of note for me...

I nipped back home at about 12:30, went through the door and my phone went off... "You had better get back Jim" Four waders had dropped in and two of them were Wood Sandpipers! (Many thanks Dave) The two as yet unidentified species turned out to be Ruff!) A hastily made sandwich and I was back in the hide 20 mins later...

The Ruff were off almost immediately, spooked by a Hobby! I got the Ruff but the Hobby was literally over the hide!


A few pics then of the two juv Wood Sandpipers...


Singled out these...






But I spent most of the time trying to get them close together!










By far the quirkiest pic of the day was this strange pose captured mid wash! Freaky or what!
 

They departed at 3.40, just before the clouds lifted and the light improved dramatically!