Thursday 1 July 2021

Caswell Bay - Mediterranean Gull

Thought it might make a change to post some bird images! A family holiday on the Gower didn't produce that much, although I was hoping the briefly seen Pacific Swift came my way? So, my travelling light lens  / camera was in the bag during a morning on the beach at Caswell Bay.

It's a busy tourist beach but that never deters Mediterranean Gulls and there was one loitering around the shore break...


If you totted up all the gull species images on this blog, I have no doubt Med Gulls would be the clear winner! They are so photogenic and here's some more...


But there's only so many static poses and this bird was quite mobile!




As the tide came in it seemed to be quite preoccupied in picking up tiny morsels...





And in this short series he clearly picked up something from the sand in flight!




You have to use the eye of faith but it looks like a small Shrimp species...


And no, I'm not adding crustaceans to my interests!!

'Footnote' The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noted that the right foot / lower leg is missing! I've seen a few over the years in the Gower with this deformity but haven't a clue how it arises?