Saturday 26 December 2020

Shropshire - Day Flying Moths part 1

With a bit of spare time over the Christmas period, I thought I'd see how many day flying moths were lurking in the archives? With the 2020 sightings, I managed a tally of 16 species...

Kicking off is the 'Nationally Scarce B' Argent and Sable seen on Whixall Moss back in 2008! I avoid the place lately due to the biting insects!




Same location for this Common Heath back in 2013 and yes, more common than the above!




Emperor Moth was a first for me in 2019! What a fantastic moth this is!!




I've lost count of how many times I've photographed Hummingbird Hawk-moth but this is the one and only time I've been really pleased wit the outcome!!






Here's the stunning Muslin Moth (my one and only) female at Venus Pool...


Oak Eggar, another one and only taken at Cramer Gutter waaaay back in 2006!


One of the real highlights over the years was not just finding Ruby Tiger on Whixall Moss in 2013 but realising I had a pair!!




Tucked away in the vegetation was this Shaded Broad Bar at Venus Pool this year...


Who said moths are dull and boring? A second instalment to follow shortly...