Thursday 1 October 2020

Venus Pool - Great White Egret

It had been a busy week but blue sky and the prospect of checking out some gulls for Dave's Leucistic LBBG  tempted me to get down to VP late morning. There was not a single car in the car park! I made my way to the causeway and apart from a few Geese and the Cetti's Warbler which flew the gap once more, all seemed quiet! That is until I checked the bank left of the members hide. Crikey that's a large Egret... has to a Great White Egret! It was but sadly in and out of view most of the time time until a Heron wandered in - inspiring a bit of action...


The casual approach by the Heron failed to daunt the intruder...


But with a bit more aggression, the local had his way!


Giving me a chance for a couple of flight shots!




The Egret kept his head down for a while but it's not easy to hide when you can stand to a good metre tall!



And you have no chance, if you choose to fly nearer, casually marching over the island as if you own it?


I bet you can guess what's coming?


Yep, here we go again... 


...and I get another series of flight shots :-)




Such beautiful angelic birds!

I was then distracted by the sight of 100+ large gulls dropping in, time to give them the once over...