Tuesday 21 August 2012

North Shropshire - surprises!

A very quiet part morning at VP hadn't exactly sparked my enthusiasm but a text alerting me to a Common Scoter on Colemere was just the prompt I needed :-)

It was still there on arrival mid afternoon the plumage pointing to a juvenile ...




More excitement was to come as Martyn Owen who had found the Scoter was now at Whixall floods where he  had found a Shropshire mega - Spotted Redshank!!

Just seeing the bird was a pretty awkward feat but how was I going to get a record shot?? A tiny gap in the hedge with foliage all around and then the Spot Shank distantly behind a willow bush! This was the scene.....


And eventually standing on tiptoes with manual focus and a bit of luck, the record shot came!


Astonishingly there was one soooooo tiny patch of water where the view through the hedge was unobstructed and eventually (using all my luck up here) I somehow kept the image in focus and improved the record shot no end. OK it's still only a record shot but always nice to have one in the bag for the records committee!


Quite an afternoon, well done again Martyn! Even had a bonus Ruff to finish in the Allscot area :-)