Saturday 3 September 2011

Chelmarsh - An amazing Hobby moment (part one)

I wasn't exactly aiming to watch Dragonflies today but a quick check of Chelmarsh ended up as a whole day session! VP had turned up the same three Ruff plus 3 Green Sands so I opted for a drive East..... There was nothing of note on the reservoir and I joined Yvonne over at the scrape with hopes of something special?

Funny how fate takes a twist, we were just packing up and had even shut the hide windows when something caught the corner of my eye - hmm a raptor - looks interesting - after realising it wasn't disappearing, the windows were duly opened again - we had a Hobby!!

The next hour were spent watching this supremely agile raptor doing it's best to wipe out the abundant Hawker population (mostly 'Migrants'), Despite the 90% 'white sky' spoling matters, I took erm, quite a few pics and in view of the fact they are not all sorted yet - here's the best of the flight shots......

I did say 'steaming in'.....



Banking whilst lining up with prey...







A glide showing the upperwing....



Head on, in a brief blue sky moment....



Before dropping into low level pursuit....







I did say low, literally inches over the water on occasions - exhilarating stuff!



I just love the effect when the tail is fanned!







Pictured against the only bit of blue sky!





There weren't quite so many Dragonflies there at the end of the session.....



Funny thing fate, if I hadn't had that last glance through the hide window, you wouldn't be looking at these!

Coming next - The 'Dragonfly' shots!