Sunday 19 June 2011

Norfolk Day 5 - Titchwell, Bittern consolation

A Caspian Tern would have been nice, really nice but I was not quick enough off the mark when the Thornham bird of the previous evening turned up at Titchwell. I missed it by 15 mins and didn’t fancy a chase along the coast

There was a chance it would return anyway so I spent the day, waiting and hoping! There’s always birds at Titchwell and a check of the hides added Spotted Redshank, Little Gull for the year. The beach produced nothing of note and the only Tern sporting a yellow bill was a Little one!

An engaging Reed Bunting singing on the walk back






I then settled down (for most of the day) by the first pool from the sea wall where the Caspian tern had been seen earlier. Bearded Tit were pinging around the reed beds but never close enough and a female Red-crested Pochard on the water took me to 200 for the year. I kept myself occupied by trying to photograph Swifts (never really managed any keepers of note)








I did however have two moments of opportunity (roughly 90 mins apart) when one of the local Bitterns flew across the reed beds - crossing the sea wall!

Take one was a little to the side and I picked the bird up quite late....








Take two was the ‘moment’. I picked the Bittern up early, flying straight towards me!






It didn’t veer from a course which would take it directly overhead.....










And it certainly did!!








WOW, views of Bittern don’t come much better than that!

Compensation it certainly was and despite checking out the Thornham roost late evening, it was clear that the Caspian Tern had ‘done one’