Thursday 11 February 2010

Gigrin - Black Kite II

My January encounter at Gigrin resulted in few keepers of the Black Kite due to the cloudy conditions - I'd promised myself a return visit on a 'blue sky' day!

I nearly got it as well, with a well timed 'half day' but some high cloud came on the scene just as lunch was being served. Nevertheless, I have to be pleased with the outcome. The overall feeding effect of the massed Kites makes you think, this is easy? Each bird needs just two or three successful food runs over an hour or so and then - is gone for good! You have to make each appearance of a particular bird (the Black Kite that is) count!

In no particular order, these are the best of the session.....






Diving....











A successful food run and away!








In aviation terms - a definite near miss (not a montage!)






Getting the upperwing shot was my priority though - this bird really is a stunner when caught banking!






My favourite shot of the day is....






If I get chance - a few Red Kites to follow......