Wednesday 20 May 2020

My Garden Pond - Azure Damselfly

Lockdown has meant I'm spending a lot of time in the garden! In fact there once was a time when it was my 100% passion... However, even with Birding now dominating my 'normal' year, I have an equally compulsive passion - Odonata. Dragonflies and Damselflies, so #MyGardenPond gets the once over every day...

Let's see how many species come my way this year. I've only ever recorded 6 species at the pond which I hardly ever watch normally!

Today, my first 'visitor' unless it sneaked out of the pond, was a pair of Azure Damselflies...

The male - easily recognised by the U shaped mark on segment 2 and bow tie on segment 9...




And here's his good lady, ahem... enjoying a ride 'in tandem'




And making the most of the effort by laying her eggs on submerged vegetation...


A close up of the female, overall green coloration with extensive black on the abdomen and of course the abdomen where the green antehumeral stripes are narrow...




And if you are wondering what the heck segment 2 or 9, antehumeral stripes, thorax and abdomen is all about? You need to check out my Hobby Good Food Guide.