Saturday 1 March 2014

Holt - Parrot Crosbills!!!

Talk about getting my timing right :-) As I left Norwich, the rain was stopping and I was to learn  it had been a somewhat damp and 'Parrot-less' clearing near Holt until my late morning arrival!

And what an arrival with 14 (or 15 subsequently) Parrot Crossbills flying overhead before landing on their favourite perching post....

Here's 12 of them!


Followed by a closer view of eight!


I quickly worked out the post was not just simply somewhere to perch, it was adjacent to a puddle or two which wasn't visible where |I was standing but..... eventually got my attention.....

I only had two (brief) opportunities and with lack of light, not to many keepers but both male and female Parrot Crossbill were eventually in the bag.

A female first.....






Followed by one or two males.....


After filling the lower mandible with water, letting gravity do the work!



I'll leave you with this nice pose!


and cropped close up of that impressive bill!


Oh and there were opportunities for Common Crossbill too! Coming next.....