Monday 26 September 2011

Covenham - American Black Tern !!

Been a bit of a gloomy period of late despite some good birds but all that was about to change! A classic detour saw my journey to Norfolk (where I was having a week of chill) take in North Lincs and Covenham reservoir.

Bathed in sunshine and glorious blue skies which were to stay with me all week, here's a general view from the South West corner (where I would later be bearing a broad smile).....



I had one bird in mind, the juv American Black Tern, and after the distant heroics of trying to get record shots of the Farmoor bird, it was high hopes of 'feather detail' on this occasion?

The journey was a slightly nervous one as it was a lotta miles out of the way and NO NEWS! Even on arrival, there was not a single mention of it but as I reached the top of the access steps, looked left and saw a small group of birder looking down at the dam wall, I sensed my luck was in.....

Trouble was, no matter where you stood, it was always into the sun :-(
Never mind, I put the news out!!!



Wingflaps obligingly showing the grey flanks and at least some decent record shots in the bag....







It proceeded to eventually fly off and feed, again into the sun and with insects soaring, so did the Tern and was ultimately lost to view over the West bank. I figured this was the place to be as I would then be looking down the light if it reappeared in that area?

IT DID :-)



I filled a couple of cards in no time - a little repetitive but the Tern was a little cracker - from all angles - bathed in sunlight!







Another spell of feeding was rewarded when it flew virtually overhead





Somehow missing this large bug and giving a bit of a frustrated glare!



It evenually landed in the South West corner and I could see it was in perfect position for a shot over the wall and directly down the light....

Would it stay, as I carefully took up position? YESSSSSSSS.....

These two shots were frame fillers - anyone want an A3 print?





More intimate detail.....



I left smiling as eventually it did a disappearing act.....



and North Norfolk here I come.....