Tuesday 13 October 2015

Scilly day 12 - Wheatears

Started the day at Porthellick hoping against hope that the Raddes Warbler would re-emerge after having bling applied? It didn't but I'm glad I arrived after release, I couldn't tick a bird in the hand....

Brambling seemed to be making an appearance now and finally got the Snow Bunting between Giants Castle and the airfield! This has to be the least showy example of a normally confiding bird!

It was a day of Wheatear activity, seemed to be more Northern Wheatears present along the coast and an intriguing 'possible' Isabelline Wheatear on the beach at Porthellick? Whatever, it didn't show itself to the masses but at least got everyone looking at every Wheatear again!

I photographed quite a few, easy birds which with care posed. None of them will probably ever see the light of day apart from this one on the clifftop at Giant's Castle, the light, the background, all the boxes were ticked.......


The evening produced a late flurry of goodies including a Blyth's Pipit on Peninnis - I know where I'm off to in the morning.....