Saturday 17 November 2012

Ruthin - Waxies

A plant talk took me to North Wales and an overnight stop with friends (thanks John and Pam!). A wasted few hours: firstly in Llandudno town centre (the Llandudno mob had stripped the town centre clean of berries), then at Conwy chasing Firecrests to no avail set me on Waxwing trail again.

I caught up with another flock of 20+ in Ruthin......

It was after 2pm so I had less than an hour of  available good light.....

With the local residents rapidly running out of their food supply ....



The local berry police were on patrol!


Plundering a few windfalls of their own!



Toss and catch!



I'd better get back to the reason I was there! Waxies showing and doing what they do, amazingly well.



Various poses......






This is the 'I've eaten too much and unable to fly' pose!


Not the most attractive of berries but one can't afford to be too pickie!




I know they have a rapid digestion system but this berry is popping out raw!


They can adopt some interesting stretchy attitudes when reaching for berries.....





Coming to my favourites from the brief session. There's something about this picture I rather like!


Or the 'arty' use of rear car lights to give a surreal feel to the background?



Plus the obligatory berry toss! A grotty berry but doesn't it match the pink of the mouth / black throat patch nicely.......





They drink as well.....









The light had gone sadly, before I latched onto the puddle! Worth another try?? Amazing what you can pack into an hour :-)