Sunday 12 December 2010

Oswestry - Misty Island Waxwings

This is not the first time I've been birding on an island. I can think of more exotic locations too and funnily enough the last island to hold my attention was in Tamworth last Winter for, guess what..... Waxwings!

I've neglected this population too, until now but with 200 Waxies reported mid morning at Mile End near Oswestry as I stared out at pea soup in Shrewsbury, I decided to put my coat on and make a flask......

Birding on an island isn't all it's cracked up to be either, the biggest danger standing inches from the busy A5 is 1. getting flattened by a car 2. turning blue from Carbon Monoxide poisoning or 3. geting arrested for causing a distraction to drivers?

Setting the scene..... there's a dozen waxwings up in that tree but I don't think I'll be using my mobile phone for serious bird photography!






Every now and then they would do what Waxings do and lay into the Hawthorn berries (now that they have consumed every Sorbus berry within miles!)






Not content with tossing berries, this was more like a juggling routine!










Remember what your Mother told you? DON'T BE GREEDY or this is what will happen! Morbid obesity in Waxwings is not well documented but this one was certainly stuggling at take off!






Speaking of which, it was time to fly off and check the Meres (while he was off to weight watchers!)....