Sunday 24 October 2010

Nature in focus - back to the Farnes.....

**** Important - this is a blast from the past!! Jim has not really just been to the Farne islands!!!*****

I'm still alive, a Saturday spent airport running and an uninspiring local Sunday session didn't produce a single bird worthwhile and as I was nearly nodding off at VP, I had an idea.....

I know lots of you keep dropping in and I really appreciate the interest shown - so, what do I do when I haven't got any birding adventures to report? Well, I used to be a big Dr Who fan and whilst getting my latest talk together (Nature in Focus) I came across a long lost, dusty folder in the external hard drive crypts....

These images have never been seen before, even by me! So...... lets travel back in time to the Farne islands - it's late Spring May 2008 and the temperature is a bit more inspiring than right now!!

The culmination of four days in the area (I think I got bogged down with 1,000s of images and never got round to these)! This day was all about the Arctic Terns, whilst they were getting a little frisky, there was not a bit of argy bargy with the humans, hats need not be worn!!

The Terns return.....






Arctic Tern sitting pretty!






Never mind the flowers, these guys reckon transparent fish find the way to a ladies heart?








Push off pal - she's spoken for.....






The reason they weren't attacking the humans - they were worn out after fighting amongst themselves!








Oh and after doing ratther a lot of this ....







The Sandwich Terns don't do transparent fish - they think BIGGGG!










Kittiwakes watching over the Guillemot colony.....






Don't they make a lovely couple?






Eiders feeling amorous - crikey this good looking bird can have her pick of the local studs!









A lone Puffin....






A last farewell from the locals...






No sunset - just the sun going down behind Bamburgh Castle.....






If anyone local is interested, this is just a tiny preview..... (Many areas of the UK will be covered and not just birds!) ...... from 'Nature in Focus' getting a first airing at the Longmynd Camera Club meeting on Wednesday 3rd November at 7.30 pm in the United Reformed Church Hall, High Street, Church Stretton, SY6 6BY. There is an entry fee of £3.00 including refreshments for non-members.....