Sunday 25 October 2020

Whitchurch - Rose-coloured Starling

Having seen several Rose-coloured Starlings over the years including a Summer adult, I was prepared to miss out on this latest reported bird. It's been fifteen years since my one and only Shire tick however, at Porth-y-Waen back on 18th November 2005, so the 'need' to see it kicked in! I thought I'd better make some effort!

Despite the lack of Rosy plumage, juveniles have a touch of class about them and are usually quite confiding. This one was no exception!




Having arrived early afternoon, the sun was in short supply but it peeked out on occasions and what a difference!


And a bit of blue sky always helps...




Too much clutter in the way for this image so a big crop but I did say confining...

In a sense, I hope the bird moves on to warmer climes as survival becomes a big problem if serious winter weather kicks in. I well remember the Port-y-Waen bird died a few days after seeing it!