Sunday 19 July 2020

Venus Pool - Roesel's Bush Cricket

Roesel's Bush Cricket has escaped the South East during recent years, spreading steadily northwards and despite being a relative newcomer to Venus Pool, safe to say it has settled down! With a reeling continuous Savi's like churr, once you get attuned to this, it really is all over the reserve. I'm grateful to Dave Chapman for getting my ears tuned in... Here's a taste of some encounters during the past week of insect spotting...

You need a lot of space to fit in stretched legs and those long antennae...






And despite having a mainly brown and grey colour scheme, its quite a colourful character!




Not afraid to pose obligingly for the camera in the Chicory!




My favourite moment of the week, perfect light and tucking those antennae in the frame quite nicely!


Whilst I'm still hooked on Odonata, there's many more interesting insects on show at this time of year and I'm filling my boots...