Saturday 6 September 2014

Hollesley Marshes - Lesser Grey Shrike

Based in not far from the Norfolk / Suffolk border, keeping my options open for something special today? My bet was for 'Suffolk' so I was waiting on-call at Minsmere - when some great news came in - Lesser Grey Shrike at Shingle Street! Hollesley Marshes to be precise..... Even better, it was only 20 miles away!

I was there late morning and soooooo lucky in getting the last parking spot at the pumping station. A half mile walk along the river wall followed to join the small gallery. Here's the habitat (plus the favourite perch).....


And here comes the Lesser Grey Shrike (262) ....


On the favoured perch! But there's only so many images you can take of this!




So I concentrated on trying to get flight shots.....


The approach to landing,








There shrike spent some time in the adjacent field - marginally nearer!




And finishing with a tail fan!


I'm having the day in North Norfolk tomorrow, at least a Red-backed Shrike on offer? If it sticks.....