Tuesday 18 January 2011

RSH - Waxies again!!!

Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I was just leaving work for lunch when I got a text reporting 'Waxwings at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital' the previous day. Now for those of you who don't know where I work, my office is within 200m of where they were seen! Walking to the car, what should fly overhead.....

......a small flock of Waxwings, eventually at least a dozen and quite obliging they were too!

They were feeding on rose hips, quite astonishing to watch these giant fruits being forced down






Do I attempt to swallow this thing?










Down it goes......






The digestion phase was carried out on the small trees nearby and quite a change to have one or two on the same 'level'.....








They were pretty close too!






A final burst was reserved for one bird nicely perched with a distant grassy bank behind. Gone are the distracting tangle of twigs and branches normally encountered....











Wonder if I'll ever tire of them?