Saturday 26 September 2009

Stewartby lake - Leach's Petrel

Saturday was not meant to be a birding day! I had to take Gemma to a swim related course south of Warwick but then before picking her up, ended up having four hours to spare......

A planned flog around Draycote was gazumped by a bomb down the M1 to Stewartby lake where a Leach's Petrel had been reported that morning!

No maps and no idea where to go but as I approached the village of Stewartby, I noticed a birder emerge from a gap in the hedge near a roadside pull-in.... By the time I'd turned round and parked, he'd gone but there was a footpath leading to Stewartby lake - just 50m away!!! I joined a group of birders, immediately onto the Leach's sat on the water in the distance!

Welcome the peace and tranquillity of Stewartby lake - with a powerboat grand prix in progress!!






I realised that from where I was standing, pictures were out of the question so drove round to the sailing club and.... (on the pretext of taking some power boat photographs) blagged my way into 'Fort Knox'. Even so, the bird never came close but at least I was able to capture some record shots in the gloom.....










I tried to capture the drama of the scene unfolding over the lake - the poor Petrel trying to feed / escape the attentions of the Black-headed Gulls. This brief encounter took place at least 100m offshore and epitomises the quandary the bird was now in....










Many miles from home, harried constantly by the local Gulls - it was just a question of 'survival'.....

Speaking of which, with three hours now gone - if I was to survive - better get back and pick Gemma up!!