Wednesday 27 May 2009

Highland visit - Crestie welcome!!

An overnight stay in Perth avoided the heavy rain which was forecast for the Highlands but I was soon amongst the drizzle as I headed North! First decent bird of the day was a flyover Hobby and then a diversion via the road between Amulree and Dunkeld produced three Cuckoos.

Seems I'm popular in these parts too!






Nearing the end of the journey, a quick call at Loch Insh produced two Red throated Divers! I gave the Abernethy loop walk at Loch Garten a go for my first Crested Tit and scored (eventually) after four or five miles of walking! Here's the celebratory Tunnocks Teacake!






Final bird of the day was glimpses of a male Black Grouse from the screen at Tulloch Moor. The final tally was just short of 50 species for the journey - shame about the rain!

The only photo opportunity came in the rain at Loch Garten - had I really come all this way for a Common Sandpiper!!






Just singing in the rain......






Onwards then, to meet the rest of the Shropshire RSPB group at 'base' for the next four nights - The Grant Arms Hotel in Grantown on Spey. I can't recommend this highly enough for good value, comfort and fantastic food......