Sunday 2 July 2023

Shrewsbury - Volucella zonaria

I teamed up with Dave Chapman who was showing me the delights of fields at the back of Percy Throwers Garden Centre! Not a good day for Butterflies but there had been brief (Bins) views of Purple and White-letter Hairstreak. The fields here were rich in flowers and it's been years since I witnessed the sight of Hoverflies in their hundreds. Nothing special though initially...

Then... Dave got a bit animated, pointing at a patch of thistles with those immortal words "What the bloody hell is that Jim"? OMG came my reply..."Volucella, hornet mimic!! But which? I knew there were two species to consider? 


To make sure the ID was fireproof, I remembered to get a clear view and pic of the underside and sure enough, the broad black bars were there. Volucella zonaria, my third...


The Thistle flowers weren't exactly big enough for this brute but I set about getting all angles!
 



Especially the head on ones! 




An amazing insect, too big for his own good really!

Clearly a male, my previous two were females so it felt like an exciting new addition to the Hoverfly list.