Monday 21 June 2021

Clearwing moths - what a week!!

After seeing my first Clearwing Moths in 2020, I was eager for more and some pheromone lures were obtained for those likely to be found in Shropshire? Never mind Shropshire, in the past week I've had two species (to lure) in my garden! I suspect there are a few apple trees and blackcurrant bushes in nearby gardens

First up garden surprise was Red-belted Clearwing (Synanthedon myopaeformis)...




Simply stunning no matter what the angle!


Two days later, also in the garden, a Currant Clearwing (Synanthedon tipuliformis)






The finale came on Sunday during the local 'Invertebrate Group' field outing to Severn Valley Country Park. 


No lure was involved this time, just pure luck as Nigel Jones worked his magic catching two Six-belted Clearwings (Bembecia ichneumoniformis) with a random sweep of the net! Bird's-foot Trefoil and other grasses / flowering plants grew nearby including lots of Hawkweed on this sloping gravelly area by the main path to the river.




This is probably the easiest of the lot and I suspect any more local Clearwings will be a trickier proposition but watch this space...