Sunday 25 April 2021

Whixall Moss - Green Tiger Beetles (Cicindela campestris)

With at least 3 Grasshopper Warblers and a pair of Hobby for starters, the main focus for the day came in the form of Green Tiger Beetles (Cicindela campestris). I've seen them before but never stuck it out to get a half decent image or two? Luckily I had my 100-400mm zoom lens with me. There were so many opportunities to be had, lying on the path at Whxall Moss, it was hard to ignore them!

At first I was content to simply to watch them scuttling past...






But then got drawn down to the ground to meet them on their own terms. A meaner hunting machine would be hard to find!




And with the sun shining the iridescent beauty of these beasts was hard to resist!!




One for another day with my dedicated macro lens methinks but these will do for now :-)