Tuesday 15 September 2020

Catherton Common - Bog Bush Crickets

My quest to see and photograph all the resident Shropshire Orthoptera had gone really well over the past two months but I still needed one more 'Cricket'  - Bog Bush Cricket. The two hotspots likely to produce them were Catherton Common in the south or Whixall Moss and I opted for the former site with Cramer Gutter the most likely spot...

Five minutes into the hunt, I disturbed my first one, a striking all grey female...




Dorsal view...


Crawling through the gense spines of a gorse bush, the next was the first of three green forms, nicely marked on the upper parts...




Cricket number three showed really well albeit very briefly and I managed just a single decent image...


And finally, number four gave clear views of the head / wings...


Just one more species to go and my quest will be complete - Lesser Marsh Grasshopper, potentially the most difficult? Watch this space...