Saturday 15 August 2020

Aston Locks - Silver Y moth

It's been an excellent year for Silver Y moths. Whilst there is a resident population, numbers are boosted by migrants and all the reserves I've visited recently has shown good numbers. Given cloudy conditions, they dive for cover and they don't exactly look drop bead gorgeous when resting!


Given sunshine, they start to wake up, Dave Chapman and I witnessed a veritable frenzy of feeding on the Knapweed which was plentiful here!


They were constantly on the move, from flower to flower, never really landing but sort of a mini hover!




And eventually I woke up to the opportunity of catching them nectaring! Here's three angles covered!






I'm sure Dave sussed some better backgrounds as there was always background flowers or grasses to contend with but I'm happy with these!




In fact as we were walking away, I vowed never to refer to them as 'just a Silver Y'! They really are very smart moths...