Monday 4 November 2019

Severn flood plain - Whooper Swans

I had a cruise (not literally) around the  Severn flood plain in the Pentre / Melverley / Edgerley area which has been deluged in recent weeks by severe flooding and now accessible. I was very fortunate too, as the land, now gradually reappearing, still held enough flood water to keep the swans happy and in view! There were plenty of Mutes but I was hoping for Whooper Swans and with a count of 19 for an hour long session, I had to be pleased...

I'd have settled for one!


But at quite a few of my stopping places, the calls were all around and they were clearly 'roaming'...



The car makes the perfect mobile 'hide'! Firstly a group of three landing in front of me...




Not to be outdone, I also found additional groups of six and ten (all adults) as the day veered from misty to bright! Here's a count-down to what happened next... Five...


Four...


Yes, you know what's coming when they have that 'gonna fly jizz'... Three...


Two...


Off they go...


In perfect synchro unison :-)








Looking back, I think this was my favourite image?


Magic moments indeed!