Tuesday 20 June 2017

Hawkmoths!

Considering I don't really 'do' moths, its been a pretty interesting period lately! Firstly I had a female Eyed Hawkmoth doing a pretty good impression of a leaf in my garden on the 9th June!


Finding my Dactylorhiza orchids just as appealing as they are to me!




Didn't even think of trying to tickle the eyes into view? Oh well...



Finding my Dactylorhiza orchids just as appealing as they are to me!

Then today, Tom Lowe kindly tipped me off - he had trapped a Poplar and two Elephant the previous evening. Would I like to photograph them? WOULD I, not half??

Here's the Poplar Hawkmoth, sporting a little wear / damage sadly...


The Elephant Hawkmoths were pristine and I decided to create a bit of a studio, courtesy of some black card, a couple of sticks and the 100mm macro lens!




Time for one or two unusual angles?




Particularly lovin' the head on views :-)




A slippery slope but I haven't quite got smitten to start trapping (yet!) Let's hope some more turn up this summer? Oh and thanks a million Tom!!

And if you never checked out the Scilly 'beast' from October 2016? Here's an impressive Death's Head Hawkmoth courtesy of Mick and Will Scott's trap...