Sunday 3 January 2010

Venus Pool – Redhead Smew Trio

Would you believe anything could prise me away from that Caspian Gull – temporarily lost as it flew about! You betcha there was, the chance of not just one but THREE redhead Smew could!! And where were they – at Venus Pool no less, albeit on the adjacent trout fishery. Before you could say “Redhead Smew” three times, the camera gear and scope was in the back of the car and I was on my way…….

Viewed from the top field Oak tree, they were obviously quite distant but when a County lifetime tick is at stake, who cares… (goodness me, did I really need Smew!) Don’t go looking for feather detail here but a nice little reminder and record shot for posterity....






3....2....1.....






Ever so slightly closer at the end of the top field.






The left hand bird with a darker loral patch.....






The year is yet three days old, a County lifer already, list in the 80s, what's going on.......